The easiest non-toxic DIY playdough that you can customize any color and scent with essential oils, using ingredients you have at home!
Those little yellow containers, usually empty with flakes of colors left in them, tossed about the floor. This is what I remember from playdough during my childhood. Playdough is such a great sensory activity for kids and using the store bough playdough is perfectly fine, However, there is something special about making your own DIY playdough. It's so simple and quick to make with just a few pantry ingredients.
DIY playdough is easy to customize and allows a kids to become creative with their choice of colors and scents. The entire process of playdough becomes interactive and fun! Plus, this makes a lovely rainy day activity for little ones.
Cozy Tips for DIY Playdough
- Add a few drops of essential oils to make the playdough scented and even calming!
- If you use Vitality oils from Young Living in the link below, the playdough will be completely edible. Great for little ones.
- You can create different colors by using food coloring.
- For an extra bit of magic, you can knead in sprinkles or sparkles into the dough.
- Try not to overcook the dough or it will become too tough to work with. Once you see the dough pull away from the sides of the pot, it's ready.
- Place the playdough into small jars and tie with a string or ribbon.
- Gift the playdough as a sweet handmade present for birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter, or during the holidays!
- For more interactive play, set up playdough station with a small tray, few cookie cutters, and a small rolling pin.
Supplies for DIY Playdough
- 1 Cup Flour
- ¼ Cup Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cream of Tarter
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 10 Drops Essential Oil (i.e.. Lavender or Orange)
- Sprinkles or Sparkles
- Few Drops Food Coloring
- Non Stick Pot
What Essential Oils Can I Add?
While you can any combination of oils you would like, the easiest way to add in a scent is to use lavender. Lavender is gentle and calming for little ones. If you combine lavender with a citrus oil such as orange, then it becomes an uplifting scent. You can tailor the scent to your preference and you can even make it seasonal or educational. For example, in the fall you can add cinnamon oil and tie it together with a homeschool lesson about apples. The possibilities are endless and the best part is you can make it your own and it's all natural!
How Can I Do More Than One Color?
If you would like to use more than one color with a single batch of playdough, then add the food coloring once the dough is created. While, you can add the food coloring before the dough is formed in the pot, you may want more than one color. To get a few colors out of a single batch of playdough, you will want to add the color in and knead it into the dough on the counter. Once the color is mixed in the dough, you are all set!
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather all of the supplies.
Step 2: Place all of the ingredients, except for the sprinkles or sparkles into the non stick pot.
Step 3: Mix together over medium heat.
Step 4: Next, stir until a dough forms and it pulls away from the sides into a ball. It will be lumpy and this process will take about 5 minutes. Try not to overcook.
Step 5: Place the dough onto a counter or plate to cool for a few minutes.
Step 6: On the counter, knead in the sprinkles or sparkles gently. Smooth and shape into a jar.
As long as the jar or container is air tight the play dough will stay soft. If it becomes hard, you can add a few drops of water and knead it.
Add whatever essential oils, colors, and sprinkles you want to make it fun! What combination will you come up with?!
- Gather all ingredients.
- In non stick pot, place all of the ingredients except the sprinkles and mix together.
- Heat over medium and stir until the forms into a ball and it moves away from the sides. Try not to overcook.
- Remove the dough from the pan and allow to cool on a plate or counter for a few minutes.
- Knead in the sprinkles or sparkles. Then smoot and shape into a jar.
- Have fun!