An essential oil roller ball is quick and easy to make with a few simple supplies. Here are a few tips to create your own roller ball!
Diffusing store bought essential oils every now and then, was how I began my journey with essential oils. The more research I did on the benefits of essential oils, the more I began to incorporate them throughout my daily routine and in our home. Over time, I discovered my love for oils and moved from the occasional store bought essential oil to diffusing daily and making my own essential oil roller balls with higher quality essential oils.
Why Essential Oils
Essential oils are all natural and have countless benefits. These little bottles of oil can offer support from wellness to sleep to emotions. My biggest win with essential oils was feeling empowered to offer sleep support to our daughter. Although, an essential oil is not a cure all, it is a huge supporter for overall well being. Diffusing a mix of lavender and northern lights black spruce along with a sleepy time roller ball for our daughter, provided her with the much needed aide to fall asleep easily and stay asleep. This was enough for me to go all in with essential oils!
Now, I will say the quality of the essential oil is critical. A friend introduced me to the essential oil brand, Young Living and I never turned back to the discounted oils again. The quality of the oil impacts the benefits of the essential oil and if you are going to spend money on an oil and use it in your home, it's important to make sure the oil is pure. Young Living offers it's Seed to Seal promise in which it owns all steps of the essential oil process, from the farms where the plants are grown to the distilleries. Do your own research on an essential oil brand that you are comfortable with and feel free to check out this link for more information on the oils I use with Young Living!
Benefits of a Roller Ball
So why not just diffuse an essential oil? Well, essential oils can be utilized in different ways depending upon the need and benefits. While, diffusing allows you to immediately inhale the properties of an essential oil, we may not always be around an oil diffuser. A roller ball on the other hand is a great way to capitalize on the benefits of essential oils while on the go or just for an immediate need. I use essential oil roller balls for emotional support, energy, headaches, and even seasonal allergies. The ability to have an all natural tool to support both my family's and my well being is priceless.
Below, I will show you how to make an essential oil roller ball from scratch.
- The first step is to try to use the best quality essential oils. You are going to be placing these oils on your skin and diffusing them in your home. Only the high quality oils should be incorporated into your home. I have been using essential oils from Young Living for over two years now and have never looked back. Get started here with Young Living for the best essential oil experience!
- Purchase a high quality carrier oil. (fractionated coconut oil or almond oil)
- You can pick simple amber roller balls through Amazon or fun and cute roller balls from small companies such as Whimsy + Wellness.
- Make sure you dilute the essential oils properly. Below is a simple guide for essential oil dilution.
- Essential oil roller balls can be made for sleep support, wellness, and emotional support.
- Add a cute labels to the roller balls from Etsy or even Amazon. This is a great basic set.
Essential Oil Safety Guideline
Once you have selected your essential oils, you will need to follow a few safety guidelines.
- Never place a hot oil such as a cinnamon, clove, peppermint or a citrus oil directly on to your skin.
- Always make sure you dilute your essential oil roller balls with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated and it is important follow the dilution guide below.
- When the roller ball is made, you can roll the oil on your wrists, behind ears, bottom of feet, or neck.
Essential Oil Dilution Chart
For a 5 ML Roller Ball:
2-5 years use only 1-3 drops of Essential Oil
5-12 years use only 3-5 drops of Essential Oil
12 and older use only 7-10 drops of Essential Oil
For a 10 ML Roller Ball:
2-5 years use only 2-5 drops of Essential Oil
5-12 years use only 5-10 drops of Essential Oil
12 and older use only 10-15 drops of Essential Oil
Essential Oil Roller Ball Supplies
- Essential Oils (I use Young Living Essential Oils. Grab a Starter Kit here!)
- 5 ML or 10 ML Roller Ball (This set is a great starter roller ball kit.)
- Carrier Oil (I use this fractionated coconut oil)
The Cozy Details
Now that you have your essential oils and supplies, you can begin making your essential oil roller ball.
1st Step: Fill the roller ball with the essential oils according to the dilution chart above.
2nd Step: Next, top the essential oils with the carrier oil, such as fractionated coconut oil.
3rd Step: Add the roller ball lid and gently shake. Roll on to pulse points as necessary.
As you start to make your own essential oil roller balls, you can explore other blends to help support emotions, sleep, and wellness. Here are a few of my favorite blends I use on a regular basis. After you try one, it will be hard not to try each essential oil blend. Each blend can benefit you in a different way. The more you use essential oils the more you grow to love and incorporate them throughout your day.
Essential Oil Roller Ball Blends for 5 ML Rollers:
5 Drops Lavender
5 Drops Frankincense or Northern Lights Black Spruce
5 Drops Thieves
4 Drops Lemon
5 Drops Frankincense
4 Drops Peppermint
4 Drops Copaiba
10 Drops Peppermint
10 Drops Lavender
10 Drops Frankincense
4 Drops Lemon
8 Drops Lavender
You Are Magic
10 Drops Orange
10 Drops Valor (From Young Living)
You Got This
10 Drops Stress Away
8 Drops Valor
With so many options, there is really nothing an essential oil can't support. Time after time I have seen the benefits of these small plant based oils and I am always amazed. Sleep support for my daughter was the first step into utilizing essential oils on a daily basis and no I can't go a day without diffusing or rolling on an oil. What will your first essential oil roller ball be?
- Fill the roller ball with essential oil drops according to dilution and selected essential oils blend.
- Top with fractionated coconut oil to the top of the roller ball.
- Add the roller ball cap and give a gentle shake.
- Use on writs or behind ears.