A one pot simple spiced caramel sauce that is both buttery and sweet with hints of cinnamon. Dip with fruit or drizzle over ice cream!
Caramel seems easy enough, a butter and sugar and maybe some heavy cream right? Yet, for years I stayed away from making my own caramel because I just didn't want to constantly stand over a pot waiting for the sugar to come to the perfect temperature. It was all too finicky for me. Sometimes though you just have to overcome those obstacles and give yourself a bit of grace, so I decided to search for recipes that didn't require boiling sugar and tweaked them until I made the right caramel for me, a simple spiced caramel sauce!
Most caramel sauces are pretty much all the same, but what makes this one unique is the added hint of cinnamon. This brings out the depth of the flavor and is an unexpected surprise. If cinnamon is not your thing, then just left it out. Even better, this sauce is just all the ingredients into one pot all at once with no waiting on boiling sugar. Once cooled, you use the sauce as a dip or drizzle over desserts or ice cream. I used this recipe in my Easy Caramel Apple Kits for Kids! Check out that post here.
- For this caramel sauce, I used salted butter and just a pinch of salt. If you use unsalted butter then add a larger pinch.
- Feel free to keep the cinnamon in the sauce or leave it out based on your preference.
- Make sure you stir the brown sugar and butter first before adding the condensed milk so that the sugar can dissolve.
- The longer you cook the sauce the hard of a consistency it will be.
- Store in a class jar for about a week in the refrigerator. Soften the sauce at room temperature or for 30 seconds or so in the microwave.
- Use for a dip for apples, drizzle on desserts or ice cream or eat straight out of the jar with a spoon!
Ingredients for Simple Spiced Caramel Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Light Corn Syrup
The Cozy Details
In a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch Oven combine the butter and sugar. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has mixed in.
Add the corn syrup and condensed milk. Stir and the bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat and add the salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir together. Place into a jar and allow to cool.
- ½ Cup Butter
- 1 Cups Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Light Karo Syrup
- 14 oz Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- In a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven combine the butter and sugar.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar has mixed in.
- Add the corn syrup and condensed milk. Stir and the bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir together.
- Place into a jar and allow to cool.
Store in a closed lid jar in the refrigerator for a week. Allow to come to room temperature to soften or for a few seconds in the microwave.