The perfect balance of spicy, savory, and sweet all wrapped into a cheesy fresh mozzarella sandwich with heirloom tomatoes & hot honey!
As we enter the peak weeks of Summer, the early July heat becomes relentless. A trip down to the vegetable garden both a welcomed reminder of the resilience of nature and escape of the hurried world around us. This fresh mozzarella sandwich with heirloom tomatoes and hot honey celebrates the peak of Summer with juicy ripe tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella and spicy basil topped with an indulgent drizzle of hot honey. This dish comes together in minutes and makes a perfect alfresco lunch or dinner!
Cozy Tips For Fresh Mozzarella Sandwich with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Select a hearty bread to hold up to the levels of deliciousness in this sandwich, such as sourdough.
- While you can use any slicing tomato, but heirloom tomatoes tend to be larger and more flavorful.
- You can use jar pesto, however it's so easy to make a homemade pesto here!
- Fresh mozzarella can be found at nearly any store or local cheese soup.
- Use mayonaize instead of butter to grill the bread for an extra crisp.
- Hot Honey is not required but it does add an extra special kick to this sandwich.
- Make an al fresco night outside with this sandwich, salad and homemade roasted strawberry ice cream for a special Summertime dinner!
Ingredients For Fresh Mozzarella Sandwich with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Hearty Bread
- Pesto Sauce
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Mayonnaise or Butter
- Hot Honey
Helpful Kitchen Tools
What Fresh Mozzarella To Use?
While there a various types of fresh mozzarella to experience, the best one for this type of a sandwich is called a nodini. A nodini will be round and smooth and easy to slice into. There are also pre sliced mozzarella options that would work, as well.
What Bread Is Best To Use?
A nice hearty bread, such as a sourdough or rustic loaf is the best to use as it can withstand the different layers and textures of ingredients.
Do I Need To Use The Hot Honey?
Using the hot honey is not at all required, but it does add a special element to the sandwich and depth of flavor. Regular honey could also work but it will not add that spicy kick that pairs so well with the flavors or the sandwich.
What To Serve With A Sandwich
While chips are a traditional side to serve with a sandwich, a nice vinaigrette salad featuring the in season fruit of summer such as peaches goes lovely with this meal.
Step 1: Gather your ingredients and slice your bread if needed. Heat the griddle over medium heat.
Step 2: Slice the tomatoes and the fresh mozzarella.
Step 3: Add the pesto to both slices of the bread on one side.
Step 4: Layer on the tomato and the cheese slices.
Step 5: Spread the butter or mayonnaise to the other sides of each slice of bread. Then toast both sides in the griddle until golden and the cheese is melted.
Step 6: Remove the sandwich from the griddle and drizzle over the hot the honey.
Slice and enjoy!
- 2 Slices Hearty Rustic Bread
- 1 Heirloom Tomato Sliced
- 2 Slices Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons Pesto
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Mayonnaise
- Hot Honey
- Gather your ingredients and slice your bread if needed. Heat the griddle over medium heat.
- Slice the tomatoes and the fresh mozzarella.
- Add the pesto to both slices of the bread on one side.
- Layer on the tomato and the cheese slices.
- Spread the butter or mayonnaise to the other sides of each slice of bread. Then toast both sides in the griddle until golden and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the griddle and drizzle over the hot the honey.
- Slice and enjoy!