A simple and quick way to create a smoky and spicy homemade red enchilada sauce that is delicious and from scratch!
Making a homemade red enchilada sauce came out necessity one evening. Among the clatter of the pans and shredding of cheddar cheese, I realized I was half way through the process of making enchiladas for my family when I had no enchilada sauce.
I did have a can of tomato sauce and some spices though, so I thought well how hard could that be? Both simple and quick, this red enchilada sauce came together with a few basic spices and some help of chicken broth.
Cozy Tips for Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
- Prep this sauce before you get started on your enchilada dish to speed up your cooking process.
- Store the sauce in a glass jar such as a mason jar in the refrigerator for about a week.
- If you want an extra added flavor, add in a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Create a cozy Mexican Food Party at home, by making this sauce, some enchiladas, chips and fresh salsa with beans or rice. Don't forget to add in a refresh citrus drink and the music!
- Drop off a fun Cinco De Mayo basket to a friend or neighbor with this homemade red enchilada sauce in a jar. Then pair it with some fresh tortillas, salsa, cheese, cilantro, and a cute succulent plant.
Ingredients for Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Taco Seasoning or Mexican Seasoning
- Chicken Broth (check out my homemade chicken broth here)
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro (optional)
- Smoked Paprika
Supplies/Tools for Making Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
What If I Don't Have Canned Tomato Sauce?
Don't have canned tomato sauce on hand, no problem! Just take a can of diced or whole tomatoes and puree them with an immersion blender. You can even use fire roasted tomatoes, which is what I used here for an extra level of flavor.
Can I Use Vegetable Broth?
Make this a vegetarian sauce by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather your ingredients and puree the tomatoes if using diced or whole.
Step 2: Place the tomato sauce, chicken broth, taco seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and cilantro into a pot. Heat over medium high.
Step 3: Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce to low. Simmer on low for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
Once cooled slightly you can use immediately. The sauce can also be stored in the refrigerator for about a week.
Now the only question is, chicken, cheese, or beef enchiladas?
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce or Dices Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Few Leaves of Torn Cilantro
- Gather your ingredients and puree the tomatoes if using diced or whole.
- Place the tomato sauce, chicken broth, taco seasoning, smoked paprika , salt, pepper and cilantro into a pot. Heat over medium high.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce to low. Simmer on low for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly and use immediately or store in a jar in the refrigerator for about a week.