A herb based spin with store-bought or homemade pesto sauce to brighten on the classic chicken noodle soup!
Rainy days, sunshine rays, glimpses of lazy rainbows. This is what early Spring days are made of. These says call for a healthy chicken noodle soup with pesto to brighten it up and remind us of the coming warmer weather. There are so many different ways to make a chicken noddle soup, but this one uses homemade chicken stock if you have it and roasted chicken thigh with a blend of dried thyme and fresh homemade pesto.
The mix of the comforting flavors of the chicken noodle soup and brightness of the pesto makes for a perfect and easy Spring time dinner. Add in a simple salad or side of rustic bread and you have the most wonderful meal!
Cozy Tips for Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup With Pesto
- Prep the pesto ahead of time or use a good quality store bought pesto to save you time in the kitchen.
- Homemade chicken broth is the best of depth of flavor, but a good quality store brand works well too.
- For the chicken noddle soup, bake the chicken ahead of time and have it chopped up ready to go for when you want to make the soup.
- Chicken thighs are a great option, but a roasted whole chicken from the store can also work.
- Dried or fresh thyme works well with the chicken noddle soup.
- Some stores now have frozen mixes of onions, carrots, and celery. This is a quick option to reduce the time of chopping vegetables.
- If you don't have egg noodles, any pasta you have on hand will work.
- Pair this soup with a rustic bread or simple vinaigrette salad for a lovely meal.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup with Pesto
- Egg Noodles
- Chicken Broth
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Dried Thyme
- Homemade Pesto Sauce or Store Bought Pesto Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather all of your ingredients together.
Step 2: In a large pot, melt 2 TBPS of butter over medium heat. Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and peas. Sauté until onions are translucent.
Step 3: Toss in chopped chicken and stir. Add salt and pepper and thyme.
Step 4: Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add in noodles and reduce heat to a low simmer until the noodles are soft.
Step 5: Pour into bowls and top with about 1 teaspoon to ½ tablespoon of pesto sauce on each bowl. Enjoy immediately!
The perfect rainy day meal or an easy weeknight soup and sandwich meal! What will you pair with your healthy chicken noodle soup with pesto sauce!?
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup with Pesto Sauce
A herb based spin with store-bought or homemade pesto sauce to brighten on the classic chicken noddle soup!
- 4 tablespoon of Salted Butter (divided)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
- ½ Onion Chopped
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks Chopped
- ½ Cup of Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup of Chopped Chicken Thighs
- ½ to 1 Cup of Egg Noodles
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 1 to 2 TBPS Pesto Sauce
- In a large pot, melt 2 TBPS of butter over medium heat. Add in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and peas. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Toss in chopped chicken and stir. Add salt and pepper and thyme.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in noodles and reduce heat to a low simmer until the noodles are soft.
- Pour into bowls and top with about 1 teaspoon to ½ tablespoon of pesto sauce on each bowl.
- Enjoy immediately!