Bright and herby flavors mixed with nutty parmesan and walnuts make up this quick and easy homemade pesto sauce!
As the days grow longer and the weather becomes warmer, the sweet and licorice scent of basil is at it's peak. Fresh herbs are a great way to lighter up meals, especially in the Spring. Homemade pesto sauce blends together the perfect mix of sweet, spicy, salty and bright flavors for a quick and easy pasta or chicken dish.
This homemade pesto sauce comes together in minutes with a handful of fresh basil, parmesan cheese, walnuts, and good quality olive oil. You can even freeze pesto sauce to keep on hand for those colder months.
Cozy Tips For Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Try purchasing the larger container of fresh basil from your local store as it is typically more affordable.
- Use a glass jar to store the pesto sauce in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
- I have found a food processor is the best option for creating a sauce from basil. However, a blender will work just fine.
- Pesto can be used in pasta, chicken dishes, sandwiches, roasted vegetables, fresh tomato mozzarella sandwiches and even in a mayonnaise as a dip. Check out my Healthy Chicken Noddle Soup With Pesto recipe, here!
- For a cute hostess gift, add a jar of homemade pesto to a basket with a bottle of wine, a small tomato plant and a bottle of wine.
Ingredients for Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Fresh Basil
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather all of your ingredients and grate the cheese
Step 2: Toss all of the ingredients, except for the water and oil into a blender of food processor.
Step 3: Pulse together and slowly add the olive oil. Continue to add in the oil until it becomes a of a thick sauce consistency. As a result, you may need to add in the water if it still needs to be thinner.
Step 4: Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy over pasta, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, chicken, or even in a grilled cheese!
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- Gather all of your ingredients and grate the cheese.
- Toss all of the ingredients, except for the water and oil into a blender of food processor.
- Pulse together and slowly add i the olive oil. Continue to add in the oil until it becomes a of a thick sauce consistency. You may need to add in the water if it still needs to be thinner.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.