A sweet, fresh, and lemony basil simple syrup that is quick and easy to make for any of your favorite Summer drinks!
The hum of bees, distant laughter, woven light patches of shade from tree branches mingle into a symphony of Summer memories. Lemons and herbs somehow always pop up among the chorus. This basil simple syrup is an ode to that lovely lemony herb. The addition of basil to the simple syrup brings out the extra light flavors of lemon and licorice, which pairs great with those warm Summer days!
Making a simple syrup may seem a bit fussy, but it honestly takes no time at all. In less than five minutes with two main ingredients of sugar and water, you can have a wonderful and homemade sweetener for all of your favorite Summertime drinks! I know with kids, schedules, tantrums, and dinner plans time is limited, but the extra five minutes to make this simple syrup will be well worth it for a special treat that you can use all Summer long.
Cozy Tips for Basil Simple Syrup
- Basil pairs wonderfully with lemons, so this simple syrup goes great with lemonade or ice tea.
- You can use a basil simple syrup in any of your Summer cocktails, as well.
- Make sure all of the sugar is dissolved while simmering the syrup over the stove.
- Allow the syrup to cool before using it in a cold drink.
- For a sweet Summer BBQ hostess gift, place a bottle of this simple syrup in a basket with a handful of lemons, cute paper straws and cups!
Ingredients for Basil Simple Syrup
- Glass Jar or Bottle (here are the ones I love for my simple syrups. Use the extra bottles to make my homemade vanilla extract)
Can I Use Dried Basil?
While I often use dried herbs in replace of fresh, this is one of the few times in which a dried herb just won't do. As a result, when using a simple syrup, you really do need fresh basil. Most of the year, you can find basil at your local market or grocery store.
How Long Does Simple Syrup Last?
Since simple syrups are made of just water and sugar, the shelf life in the refrigerator is much longer than other foods. I have kept my simple syrups on hand for a few months. For this basil simple syrup, I would keep it in the refrigerator for about a month.
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather your ingredients.
Step 2: Place the sugar, water, and fresh basil in a pot.
Step 3: Heat over medium heat and stir occasionally to dissolve sugar.
Step 4: Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Strain the basil leaves.
Step 6: Allow the syrup to cool and place into a glass jar.
You can now use your simple syrup in your favorite drinks and store the syrup in the refrigerator for about a month.
Now the only question is do you add this basil simple syrup to lemonade or an alcoholic drink?!
Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- Gather all of your ingridents.
- Place the sugar, water and basil into a pot.
- Heat over medium heat and stir occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the basil leaves and place the simple syrup into a jar.