Smoky and sweet, this homemade BBQ sauce recipe is both simple and quick to make with tomato paste, brown sugar, and vinegar!
There is something about the scent of garlic, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar that is so inviting. BBQ sauce is such an easy condiment to pick up at the store, but in a pinch this homemade BBQ sauce recipe comes together in minutes with basic pantry staples. The extra few minutes of time are definitely worth the effort. The taste is both smoky and sweet and the texture is better than anything off a store shelf.
Once you begin to make your own homemade BBQ sauce, you won't go back to anything from the store. It makes the perfect compliment to you back yard cook out or pulled chicken or pork in the slow cooker. Want a game day snack? Mix this homemade BBQ sauce with my homemade apple butter in a pot with Little Smokies Sausages or Kielbasa. The possibilities are endless with an easy homemade BBQ sauce in your back pocket!
Cozy Tips for Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Add in a BBQ seasoning or smoked paprika for an extra smoky flavor.
- You can make this sauce ahead of time and save it in a jar in the refrigerator for up to a week or make it right before you need to use it.
- If you don't have tomato paste you can substitute it for ketchup.
- Mix up a batch of homemade BBQ sauce and bring it to your next backyard cook out or party.
- This would make a sweet Father's Day gift with a BBQ cookbook and tools.
Ingredients for Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Tomato Paste
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Smoked Paprika or BBQ Seasoning (optional)
- Whisk or Spatula (this one is my favorite type)
- Small Pot (this saucepan has been my favorite and I have had it for years!)
What if I Don't Have Tomato Paste?
If you do not have tomato paste you can use ketchup and do a little less apple cider vinegar if you prefer a thicker sauce.
What if I Don't Have Brown Sugar?
As an alternative to brown sugar, you can use honey or maple syrup.
The Cozy Details
To begin, gather all of you ingredients and chop the garlic.
Mix together all of the ingredients into a pot and stir occasionally over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly and use either immediately or store in a jar in the refrigerator for a week.
Pair this BBQ sauce with chicken in the slow cooker or over the grill with fresh veggies and my basil lemonade!
- 6 Ounce Can of Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika or BBQ Seasoning (Optional)
- To begin, gather all of you ingredients and finely chop the garlic.
- Mix together all of the ingredients into a pot and stir occasionally over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and use either immediately or store in a jar in the refrigerator for a week.