Bursting with sweet strawberries and mingled with whipped cream, this strawberry shortcake recipe makes the simplest Summer dessert!
The hum of the bees, grass poking through a blanket laid out on the ground and scatter toys brings back the illusions of Summer days. Strawberries are such a treat in Summer with their vibrant sweetness. This strawberry shortcake recipe is so simple in it's preparation that it allows the sweetness, creamy indulgence and slight crunch of the biscuit to shine!
I used to think of a dry yellow sponge cake with canned whipped cream topped with strawberries when I thought of strawberry shortcakes. While this version will always have a secret spot in my childhood memories, a homemade biscuit topped with homemade whipped cream and strawberries really does take the cake!
Cozy Tips for Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- You can make the whipped cream a day or two ahead of time.
- Prep the whipped and strawberries while the biscuits are cooking in the oven.
- Slice the biscuits in half and fill the center with cream and strawberries or break up the biscuits into large chunks and top with cream and strawberries.
- Make a special strawberry picking day by going to a local farm or farmer's market and then making this strawberry shortcake recipe.
- This is a great recipe for little ones to get involved with. For an extra fun, outdoor picnic idea, lay out a blanket and eat these shortcakes outside.
- If you want to learn how to make your own homemade whipped cream check out my simple whipped cream here!
Ingredients for Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Buttermilk or (milk with white vinegar)
- Whipped Cream (find my homemade whipped cream here)
- Vanilla (find my homemade vanilla here)
What Size Biscuits to Make?
While you can make the biscuits any size you want, I tend to use an ice cream scope to make my biscuits. This gives the biscuits and more uniform size and a size that is manageable for both kids and adults. Feel free to make any size you want, just note that the larger the biscuit the longer the bake time.
When To Assembly The Shortcakes?
Once you have baked the biscuits, allow them to cool for about 20 minutes or so. After the biscuits are cool you can top them with the whipped cream and strawberries.
What if I Don't Have Buttermilk?
No buttermilk? No problem, all you have to do is take one cup of milk and add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or even apple cider vinegar. Mix together and allow to sit for a few minutes. You will never notice the difference between this and real buttermilk!
The Cozy Details
Step 1: Gather all of your ingredients and preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder. baking soda, sugar, and salt.
Step 3: Mix in the cubed butter pieces and mix with your hands or two forks until it resembles rough sand.
Step 4: Pour in the vanilla and the buttermilk. Mix until just combine.
Step 5: Using a large spoon or an ice cream scope. Spoon medium size round of dough onto an ungreased pan or parchment lined pan.
Step 6: Bake for about 10-12 minutes until golden.
Step 7: Allow to cool and then slice the biscuits in half. Top one half with whipped cream and add on some strawberries. Place the second half of the biscuit on top and add more strawberries.
Now the only question is, how many shortcakes to eat? 1 or 2 or maybe 3? For another strawberry dessert idea, check out my homemade roasted strawberry & honey ice cream!
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 8 tablespoon Cold Butter, Cubed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups Whipped Cream
- 2 Cups Chopped Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Gather all of your ingredients and preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder. baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Mix in the cubed butter pieces and mix with your hands or two forks until it resembles rough sand.
- Pour in the vanilla and the buttermilk. Mix until just combine.
- Using a large spoon or an ice cream scope. Spoon medium size round of dough onto an ungreased pan or parchment lined pan.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool and then slice the biscuits in half.
- Top one half with whipped cream and add on some strawberries. Place the second half of the biscuit on top and add more strawberries.